Due to high order volume, there is a 5 day lead time on all new orders.We apologize for the inconvenience.
SKU: RD189 ARB Air Locker Dana 60XHD 4.10 & Down 40 Spline- RD189
A 4x4 and traction go hand-in-hand; however, standard (open) differentials allow each wheel to turn independently to eliminate binding in turns. Off-road this becomes a problem as engine power takes the path of least resistance--to the wheel with little or no traction. Limited slip differentials offer some improvement, but too often the slipping is not "limited" enough to maintain forward progress. Automatic locking differentials also have disadvantages; noisy when disengaging, they can also upset on-highway driving characteristics.
Created to provide traction on demand, without sacrificing highway driving performance, ARB Air Locker differentials employ a 12 V ARB air compressor (sold separately) to pneumatically operate a solid and durable locking mechanism inside the differential. When activated, the Air Locker prevents the differential gears from rotating and the axle shafts from turning independently of each other. With both wheels tied directly to the rotation of the ring gear, the vehicle maintains maximum possible traction at all times. When unlocked, it operates just like a conventional open differential.
ARB Air Lockers are available in over 100 configurations for a wide range of vehicles and can be installed in both front and rear axles. Installation should be performed by a qualified differential technician, although no special tools or skills are required apart from those necessary for fitting a standard differential. ARB also offers three compressor models suitable for Air Locker operation, two of which can be used to inflate tires and operate other equipment.
Additional features of ARB Air Lockers include:
* Vastly improved traction means less reliance on momentum, reducing the likelihood of vehicle damage
* Easy, convenient operation without leaving the comfort and safety of the driver's seat
* Ultra durable and extremely strong; only the highest quality materials used in construction
* Patented gear technology and 2-piece design ensures optimal locking strength
* Forged gears provide superior strength and durability
* Incredibly simple, yet effective, design employs minimal moving parts for maximum reliability
* Thoroughly tested and proven
* Most sold as kits with differential, activation switch, solenoid valve, air line, and bulkhead fittings
* Front and rear Air Lockers available for most makes and models
* For 4WD and 2WD applications
* Easy maintenance; no special additives required
* Also offered in ARB Traction Packs that include two Air Lockers, a compressor, and accessories for tire inflation